Sunday, December 5, 2010

If not by MY hands; then by my Neighbour's

For me it is easy to get so caught up in the idea of a Handmade Holiday, that it's easy to forget that that doesn't necessarily only handmade by me.

Even for one who professes to be as crafty as I, it would be hubris to assume I could do it all alone. Whether due to lack of time, or resources, or skills; at some point I have to look to others for help.

Yet I am lucky enough to live in a community that though small in population, has a wealth of talented artisans and craftsmen.

Our local nexus for the artisan and fair-trade community is the shop The Karma Marketplace. Not only is it an outlet for crafters and artists to sell their wares, but they also sell local organic meat and produce, preserves, and soaps.

Yesterday I went searching for something for some of the women on our list, and found these:


I wish I could convey to the Internet how amazing the soaps smell, and I just know the jewellery will look stunning on the recipients!

Both jewellery and soap making are two more crafts I would like to try my hand at in the future, but for now I am happy to be able to support my neighbours who are creating them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you thought about this post - and if you have any questions, or a suggestion about a topic you would like to see covered, let us know! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and for visiting our "Somewhat-Urban" Homestead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...