Monday, September 6, 2010

Sunday Bake of the Week: Doggy's Favorite Cake

Each peach pear plum, my dog ate the plum cake; that little bum!

A good friend of ours used to make us the most delicious German apple cake whenever we came to visit. It was a nice, firm base, not too sweet, but just sweet enough, with fresh apple slices arranged on the top, and then a brown-sugar glaze poured over it all. It was to die for.

I used to make it all the time, but often I'd substitute peaches for the apples instead. This made the cake a little more moist, but equally yummy. So when my sister in law gave me some miniature black plums to use up, I thought I'd make the cake again, and have plums as well as peaches on the top.

When I was finished, it looked so good cooling on the counter - too good in fact - that my dog couldn't resist jumping up to the counter and eating the cake while we were upstairs! (Apparently my dog is taller than I thought!)

Luckily, I did take some pictures for the blog before the dog got to it, so at least I can share those.

Silly mutts!


Peach-Plum Cake

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt

Combine above ingredients in a large bowl, and mix with a patsry blender (or your fingers) until it resembles course cornmeal. In a measuring cup, whisk together:

1 large egg
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract

And enough milk to make one cup. Add to the dry ingredients and mix to form a soft dough. Spread evenly in a 9" cake or pie pan, and top with:

4-6 large apples, pears, plums, or peaches, sliced

Make sure the pieces overlap and that none of the dough is visable. Next, sprinkle the fruit with 1/2 cup brown sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 3 tbsp melted butter.

Bake at 425 F for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Note: don't do what I did and forget to put a cookie sheet under the cake to catch any overflow of juices. I've never seen so much smoke in my kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you thought about this post - and if you have any questions, or a suggestion about a topic you would like to see covered, let us know! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and for visiting our "Somewhat-Urban" Homestead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...