Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Bake of the Week: Helen's Zucchini Bread

I actually did not think this post was going to happen. We got a last-minute phone call Friday night from my brother-in-law telling us that there was going to be a dinner for Opa's birthday, and we were invited to come stay the night at their place. We got back at 6:30 this evening, when I realised I had baked no bread or snacks for the coming week. So a quick batch of zucchini bread was in order!

----------------------------------------------------------------


 
There are many dishes that I make that Chris considers the best he's ever had. My philly cheese steak sandwhiches, for example. But no matter what recipe I try or variations I attept, I have never been able to make a batch of zucchini bread that equals his mom's. So I finally got around to getting her recipe and though I hate to say it, it is by far the best zucchini bread I have ever made.

Helen's Zucchini Bread
makes 2 loaves

3 eggs
3 cups shredded zucchini (squeezed of excess liquid)
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

In a large bowl, combine first five ingredient. In a seperate bowl, sift together the rest of the dry ingredients, and add to the zucchini batter.

Pour into 2 bread pans, and bake at 325 F for about an hour, or until the top is golden, and a toothpic inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Remove from bread pans, let cool on racks, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you thought about this post - and if you have any questions, or a suggestion about a topic you would like to see covered, let us know! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and for visiting our "Somewhat-Urban" Homestead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...