Sunday, January 2, 2011

Holiday Time is Family Time


HAPPY HOLIDAYS
AND A
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Things here have been crazy since a couple weeks before Christmas. It was a flurry of activity; baking, cleaning, knitting, sewing, painting, and I can't even remember what else. But it is now over, and we are left with feeling very full, very warm, very loved, and yes, very exhausted.

For us the holidays are always special because they are first and foremost family time. After the chaos and activity of the weeks preceding, we can finally sit back, relax, and enjoy the warmth and company of our loved ones. It is a time to enjoy and reflect on our wealth, both in material and non-material terms, and give thanks for how blessed we truly are.

The weeks of festivities (for with the amount of extended family we have, it truly takes weeks to get in visits with everyone!) started off with Yule (December 21). I made a special dinner, and we celebrated with just the four of us the Return of the Sun. (For anyone not aware, Yule is also the winter solstice; and though it is the longest night of the year, it also marks the point in which the days will start getting longer.) I lit candles around the house, and the first gift of the season was given: two new bookcases for the family to enjoy in the living room that I put together all by myself!
Christmas Eve was a quiet evening in with one of our best friends; I made pizzas, we played the piano, and then the little ones were ushered up to bed.

It was peaceful, serene: everything you could hope for the Night before Christmas.

After weeks of scheming, Christmas morning arrived. I was able to give Chris the big gift I'd been planning and working on in secret: his painting and craft space.

We have a beautiful sun room at the front of the house that up to this point has been filled with unopened boxes in various amounts since the day we moved in. Our goal was to have the room turned into a knitting/painting/sewing/crafting room for us adults (because it has the wonderful benefit of having french doors that lock!), but neither of us had the time nor storage options to make that goal a reality.

So I knew that would make the perfect gift.

After a few setbacks the room finally took shape, and it is now a sanctuary where both Chris and I can be creative and little ones are kept at bay until they are old enough to get into the hobby knives, paints, knitting needles and crazy glue!

We spent Christmas day with Chris' family at his parents house, and enjoyed the first of the turkey dinners. The boys got to play with their cousins, and there was more laughter and great food to be had by all.

Boxing day was another turkey dinner, this time with Chris' birth mother and her family. The boys were spoiled by all their aunts and uncles, and we left afraid to eat another morsel lest we explode. I think I am still full with turkey!

This week was a little quieter, though both Chris and I became sick. Whether we actually had a virus, or whether we finally succumbed to sheer exhaustion I don't know. We went back down to the in-laws for New Years, had very long naps, and went to bed early. I did get to attend my first fondue party there, and that was quite something!

I do have something special planned to share with you all, and once I overcome some technical difficulties, it'll be up and running!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a lovely holiday season this year. We too like to just be quiet on Christmas Eve--we are always invited to a party but decline. The children--and we too, if truth be told--can only take so much festivity.

    I do hope you're going to post a picture of this new wonderful creative space! It sounds fabulous. Art studios, workshops and sewing nooks are always exciting to me! :)

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and we'll certainly share some pictures!

    I went in the other day just to put some yarn away and noticed that Chris has already been using his miniatures pating station; I knew it would be a well received gift!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you thought about this post - and if you have any questions, or a suggestion about a topic you would like to see covered, let us know! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and for visiting our "Somewhat-Urban" Homestead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...